Blaire's Reviews > The Jane Austen Book Club

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Oct 19, 07

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in October, 2007

I kept looking for fairly literal parallels in each chapter between the book under review and the character with which it was associated. Not a very rewarding approach, although I did find some. Instead, I took this book as an implicit homage to Austen. A gently satirical portrayal of a group of characters bound partly, but not entirely, by a love of Austen's novels. It's all about character; not plot. Not that much actually happens during the course of the book. Nevertheless, we learn a lot about this particular group of people and their relationships to each other. By the end of the book, I cared what happened to each of them. Like Austen, Fowler is slyly funny at times, although I found her observations about the shortcomings of her characters to be a lot less pointed than Austen's. Familiarity with Austen's work is marginally useful to an appreciation of this book, but certainly not necessary. The characters and their stories stand on their own as an entertaining read.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jane Austen Book Club.