Boof's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Dec 20, 09

bookshelves: dystopia, ya, read-in-2009, my-current-top-10, my-most-amazing-books, sci-fi-fantasy, usa
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read in December, 2009

This book is amazing! It was so difficult to put it down that I cursed every time I had to. Such a brilliant idea for a plot and coupled with being so well executed has made it one of my favourite books, possibly of all time.

The book is set in Panem (formerly the USA) where there are districts known as the Capitol (who rule everything else) and Districts 1-12. Seventy-five years ago, the people of the Districts (who are fenced in and not allowed to communicate with other districts) staged a rebellion so in order to make sure that it never happens again, the Capitol invented THE HUNGER GAMES. Every year, two children (one girl and one boy, aged 12-18) are picked randomly from each district and are put into an arena which can be anything from swamps to lakes or forrests or deserts and the victor is the last one standing once all the others are dead. The Hunger Games are mandatory TV viewing for all Districts who have to watch their loved ones be killed on live TV. The only ones who relish this are the people of the Capitol where the cheer their favourite tributes on and place bets about who will survive and who will die.

Katniss Everdeen is sixteen years old and when her 12 year old sister's name is read out at the reaping (the televised event where the names are called) she steps up and volunteers to go in her place. Katniss's district partner is Peeta, a boy from school who has always liked her. The book follows their journey from District 12 to the Capitol where they are put into the arena to fend for themselves.

I read that the author got her idea for the book when she was flicking between channesl on the TV and on one side was a reality TV show and on the other was footage of the horrors of the war in Iraq and she wondered what it would be like to put these two together. The synopsys for this book may seem farfetched but to be honest I'm not so sure that we're all that far away from these games anyway. You only need to watch Jerry Springer or Big Brother (the UK version) to realise that so much of it is set up or instigated to get the best arguments and subsequently ratings possible. It's not that far away from the Gladiators in Rome killing each other for the publics viewing pleasure.

Having said that, this book is aimed at young adults and although the theme of the book is one that really makes you think, it isn't gory or gruesome and is appropriate for its intended audience. I may be well past my teenage years but I can honestly say that this book is one of the best I have read for pure excitement and that "un-put-downable" factor.

I highly, highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

12/09/2009 page 25
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kirsty I need to get this book sooner rather than later!

Lisa Vegan It's one of my favorite books now. I actually did think it was gory though.

Boof Kirsty, I think you'd really like it. It has gone into my current top 10 list!

Kirsty I already had it on my TBR list as I'd heard about it on the Books on the Nightstand podcast... must locate a copy soon!

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Dec 20, 2009 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Kirsty, and you won't have to wait 14 months(!!!) to read the 2nd book in the series, Catching Fire, since it's already out, and you'll have only about half a year, not a full year, to wait for the last book in the trilogy. Lucky you.

Laurel So glad you liked it!

Boof Laurel, it was SOOO good!! I read the second, Catching Fire and found that just as good. I wasn't expecting what happened so there was as much on-the-edge-of-your-seet-ness as the first.

Laurel I can't wait to get to Catching Fire! It's on reserve at the library but there's a line. :-)

Rebecca Me too now I really want to read it. I didn't know it was a triology. Hunger Games Catching Fire and what was the last one? I loved your review Boof as always. Thank you.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan The last one doesn't have a title yet: The Hunger Games Book Three.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I'd recommend Battle Royale since you liked this so much - similar premise, older book, more scary, very Japanese! Or you could just watch the movie, which is also very good ;)

Sasha Boof, I downloaded the audiobook, partly on your recommendation and loved it! It was as addictive as you suggested. I listened to the whole 11 hours of Catching Fire yesterday and I am now on the third book. An instant classic.