Margot's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Nov 30, 13

bookshelves: sci-fi, humorous, snarky, modernlibrary100best, audio-books, 2013
Read from November 18 to 23, 2013

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy follows the adventure of Arthur Dent after he escapes Earth minutes before its destruction. He stows away on the ship that served the planet its destruction, then finds himself on the hijacked ship Heart of Gold along with the (former?) now-criminal president of the galaxy and a host of others as they seek out an ancient race of planet-engineers and the coveted question that will unfold the riddle of the purpose of existence.

I originally tried to read The Hitchhiker's Guide several years ago and couldn't make it through more than a chapter or two before I had to set it aside with disgust. I generally have a strong dislike for snarky and silly humor in writing. This time, I attempted to listen in audio book and--ahhah!--it was much more digestible. I enjoyed the reader and was more easily able to space out during the boring, long sections of exposition (explanations from the guide) and long, boring introductions to new characters before I've been given any reason to care about them.

All that crappage aside, I enjoyed the audio version enough to consider reading more in the Hitchhiker's Guide series, if I can also find them in audio. I particularly enjoyed the larger concepts explored within the narrative: on the search for meaning, on the origin of Earth, on the potential results of making AI robots more human, to name a few.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

11/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading