Breanna F's Reviews > If the Witness Lied

If the Witness Lied by Caroline B. Cooney

F_50x66
Jan 16, 10

Read in December, 2009

The Fountain family are no longer together. Jack is the only one to protect Tris. Smithy and Madison are gone. And somehow, sometime, the court let Aunt Cheryl raise Tris and Jack.
I’ve always wondered how hard it is for orphans, and now I know. Once Laura Fountain, the mom, died of cancer, everybody thinks that 2 year old Tris is the reason. Why? Because Laura wouldn’t take chemo, it would kill the baby. She would have it after Tries was born, but was too weak and died. Madison, Smithy, Jack, and Tris had a hard life, but once a girl named Cheryl Rand comes into the picture, it was easier, or was supposed to be. Cheryl likes the kids to call her Aunt, even though she’s not. However, their father dies. Going to the back of his jeep to pick something up, Tris climbing into the driver’s seat, and pulling the parking brake. And now, Cheryl Rand, their so called Aunt takes care of them. Madison and Smithy ended up leaving, and Jack has to take care of Tris the rest of the way. But Jack can’t protect his brother all the time. Especially when their Aunt Cheryl sells Tris to television, because television is her life.
Aunt Cherly wants the TV to make a reality show, family reunion, taping the feelings of the kids. But most of all, the little 2 year old, Tris, who killed both of his parents. And so "Aunt" Cherly can have her fame. Smithy and Madison come back for their father’s birthday. Which is perfect timing for the TV, but Jack will not let it happen. So he leaves the house, and once he finally has Madison, his sister by his side again, his plan could work. But secrets that they never knew, wouldn’t ever think would be true, are. They find pictures, pictures of Aunt Cheryl wearing Laura’s engagement ring, the next taking it off, the next her face lit up with madness, and the last, is the picture that gives the truth. Did Tris really kill their dad, can they get out of the show, stop it from happening, can they go to police tell them everything.
Can they protect Tris?
What can they do when a witness lies.
I felt like putting the book down in the beginning, but made myself keep reading it. And I am glad I did. I couldn’t put down this book, always wondering what’s around the next corner for the Fountain’s. I was at the edge of my seat wondering whether little Tris killed their dad, or if it was truly, their dear Aunt Cheryl.
I would read this book maybe once again, recommending it to anyone. I would say this book is probably more in the suspense/mystery. At first the book was sad, and it took a while to understand, but overall, It was a great book.
I could always tell which person was talking throughout; Caroline b. Cooney did a great job, because I could see Jack being a great big brother.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If the Witness Lied.

12/02/2009 page 32