Darrell Reimer's Reviews > A Trip to the Stars

A Trip to the Stars by Nicholas Christopher

Dec 02, 2009

did not like it
Read in December, 2009

I've enjoyed the work of a few "magic realists" in my day, and was looking forward to Christopher's take on the genre. After slogging through 150 pages, A Trip To The Stars is fated to remain unfinished -- its pretensions have deflated its attempted "realism" of any emotional power.

An orphan kid, Loren/Enzo gets separated from his charge in '65, then shuttled to an exotic hotel in Nevada where he receives an eclectic education. Meanwhile his young aunt, Alma/Mala (said charge) drifts through life and lovers as the usual 60s issues propel her from one exotic island to the next. I'll admit that Christopher pays attention to his sentences in a way I would have loved when I was in my early 30s. But Enzo is one of these "preternaturally wise" adolescents -- again, something I would have happily indulged when I was younger -- that irritates me to no end and shatters any fictive dream that Mala's narrative was so successfully weaving.

If the reviews here are any indication, the problem is all mine. As my own 13-year-old, preternaturally wise daughter might say: "Whatevs."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trip to the Stars.