Jenre's Reviews > The Dickens With Love

2620867
Dec 05, 09

bookshelves: m-m, contemporary, romance
Read in December, 2009

This festive novella is a bit of a roller coaster in terms of the relationship of the heroes, but ends on a lovely sweet note designed to warm the hearts of even the most determined Scrooge. James is a disgraced antiquarian book dealer. A link to a dodgy book dealer in the past has led to him becoming a pariah of the book hunting world so he's forced to work for unpleasant private collectors like Mr Stephanopoulos who has hired him to assess a new, previously unheard of Christmas Story by Charles Dickens, currently in the possession of British professor Sedgwick Crisparkle. After a shaky start and a run in with an ocelot, James and Sedge act on their mutual attraction, but lies and secrets threaten to ruin the best thing that's happened to James in a long time.

Josh Lanyon is an absolute master at putting two men together and causing a disagreement. Honestly, I'm in awe of the way he can start a scene with his characters in complete accord and end it with heated words and (almost) slamming doors. I just love books where it's not just the sexual tension which is high, but also the emotional tension. Both men in the book have an instant like and attraction to one another but underneath there's a simmering unease and you just know that a single misplaced word by one of the characters is going to light the fuse and set off the fireworks. The story isn't too complicated but that didn't matter in what is essentially a character based story and I liked James very much, sympathising with his loneliness and frustration over things that have happened in his past over which he had little control. The sly winks to Dickens' stories was just an added bonus. Overall, I spent a very pleasant couple of hours engrossed in this story and I think you will too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dickens With Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I love looking for allusions to other literature, so I'll have to add this to my list.

Jenre Thanks, Eyre :). This is a great book.