Sandy Yang 's Reviews > A Child Called "It"

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Mar 13, 08

Recommended for: future/present psychologists, caring people <3
Read in January, 2008

A Child Called "It":One Child's Courage to Survive
Dave Pelzer
Health Communications, Inc., 1993, 153 pp., $9.95
ISBN 1-55874-366-9

Have your parents ever abused you? In The Child Called "It", a true story that can bring tears to the eyes of anyone with a beating heart, Dave, the protagonist, is abused in the most horrifying ways possible. What kind of mother would want to hurt their own little child? David's mom's actions can prove that wrong.
"Once, I ate some leftover pork. Hours later I bent over in extreme pain ... While I was sick, Mother informed me she had purposefully left the meat in the refrigerator for two weeks, to spoil before she threw it away" (Pelzer 63).
The book tells of a little child, Dave, the protagonist, who goes through many troubles throughout the book. He lives with his crazy, obnoxious, abusive mother who would go out of her way to torture David. His father, who had once been his guardian angel, has left the family because of all the argument after arguments he had with David's mother. Dave's mother would do crazy things like, putting his hands over the oven, lock him in the bathroom with deadly chemicals, or she doesn't feed him for really long.
This book can make me cry all over again every time ii read it. I can relate to the terror little David has to go through, because my mother wasn't much different from David's mom.
Get your tissues ready. You'll need it. After reading this book, you'll then understand the what really goes on in the world. It's called reality. People on the news just say what happens, but have never told you the details that make you want to slap the abuser. You'll like this book. Actually, rephrase that -- you'll LOVE this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joanna I read this book before. I like it so much.

Manshui I can also connect the abusive moments to my life when my parents used to hit me because I would act bad. I really like how you summarize David's abusive life and how it connects back to your life. These many important moments of life really makes me want to read the book all over again. I feel as if I was young again, only different. Good job!

-Manshui Lam

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy very heartbreaking review. sounds really interesting and like the sentence starter you have. might read it(:

Michelle I wanted to read this book before and now I want to read it even more. I liked how you put the book as such a terrifying life but however, it's reality. I can never connect to this book. My life is nothing like Dave's. My parents love me<3. Yes, I would read this book. GOOD JOB SANDIIEE!

message 5: by Maggie (last edited Mar 26, 2008 08:57AM) (new)

Maggie Sandie, I liked your book review alot. I liked the fact that you really dug deep into our heads' that the book is really heart breaking and at the same time it shows reality. I can connect the book to the world already because from reading your review it tells me that the child was abused. I know that many kids today are abused by parents. I want to read this book because you made it sound very interesting and I want to know more about the child. I also liked your sentence starter. Great job. Thanks, Sandie!=]

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hey, Sandy! I liked your review, too. =] You made the book sound so emotional and yet reminded us that things like this do happen in reality, no matter what we want to think. I don't think I can connect to this book because my parents don't choose to physically abuse me if my behavior was inappropriate, instead they choose to lecture me. (Typical Asian parents, no? ^^) Anyway, after reading this, I would definitely want to read this book. Good job!

Amanda Sandy, your book review summed up the whole entire story without giving too much information (so that people will still yearn to read it) away, and enough information so that people will become interested. You did it so well, and I know for a fact I can't do it as well as you can. Yes, there are so many cases of child abuse out there in the world that people are unaware of. I'm glad David Pelzer decided to write about it because it's just such a big issue. What's even more emotionally appealing is that Pelzer wrote about child abuse based on his own childhood. I see you tried to appeal to reader's emotions by adding an excerpt. It's awesome! I would really love to read this book (although I might not be able to handle it).

Winnie I have already read this book and i feel as if you did a great job summarizing what this book is going to be about . i like how you included the quote, because the horrible actions of David's mother really draws the reader in . I can't believe parents could do such thing this their kids, its unbelieveable. you did a great job sandie :)

Sandy Yang Shame on you Winnie ! did you homework 8 hours ago, and its now 7am in the morning ! tsktsk . (:

Lloyd I like this review. I read this book and I agree with you 100%. SNAP! SNAP! SNAP! This was a very good book. you did a very good job summarizing the book. Good quote. It summarizes the whole story.

Diego Archuleta What's up Sandie I like what you stated. I agree with everything you stated. You Show that kids are abused everyday and it needs to stop. I hope you keep reading the series and you will enjoy it. Let me know how it go's

Emaan ♥'s The Fuentes bro's STILL this book is very sad... it was reallybut good it depressing!! it was addicting.... even though it was sad i needed to read more and more to no what happend 2 him

Shireen Zehra IKR who the hell wuld be that abusive to thier own child? i mean its like she ENJOYED being like that!!

Mahek LOVES One Direction i luved this book but it was so sad how she beat him

Shireen Zehra Ditto, i still dont get how any mother could be so cruel.

Emaan ♥'s The Fuentes bro's STILL i know she made his life a living hell!!:(

Emaan ♥'s The Fuentes bro's STILL when the mother died i would go dance on her grave!! wouldnt u!!!!!!!!!

Mahek LOVES One Direction haha idk its still a sin cuz she did keep u alive.... but she was an b wurd for doin wat she did haha

Shireen Zehra i wuld go party on her grave!i wuld invite all o u peeps and we wuld sing songs about our pure hatrid for her ugly disgusting unapealing face...and ROTFL!

Shireen Zehra sorry bout that means comment, i just reely hate her..

Emaan ♥'s The Fuentes bro's STILL i agree with all of it u guys waaaaaaaa im bak home ewww but im happy to see my sistaaas (u guys)

Sandy Yang LOL thanks for all the comments you guys, even after years that this review is up.

Sandy Yang <3<3

message 27: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Frias so it a great book to read than? (:

message 28: by Loovebear (new) - added it

Loovebear Daanq qurl iLove Tha way yhu put it. I read this story before but, it makes me want to read it aqain ^.^ I'm sorry about ur past thouqh. I hope everything is qoinq qood for yhu know c: God Bless Yhu ♥