Julie's Reviews > The Historian

bookshelves: fiction, historical, book-club
Recommended to Julie by: Bookclub
Recommended for: anyone interested in Dracula & vampires
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

I finished this book several days ago. There are things I Like that seem to work well in this book; I do like the 'letters' written by several characters that tell the tale throughout the book. I like how the chapters switch from one character's point of view to another, This technique works well in the beginning to the mid part of the book; from the mid-point on, there technique is used less as the plot begins to coalesce as the storyline concentrates forward movement basaed upon just a few of the main characters.

I love the Dracula legend and the intertwining of historical data along with the fictional premise of the book. I found this combination to be one of the things that intrigued me about this book.

One of the things I did not like was the anti-climatic confrontation between Dracula and the main characters. There were only a few pages devoted to this part - I would have loved for it to have been stretched out and developed a bit more, I was lured in by the interesting story, I just didn't get 'hooked' at the climax.

This was a good book and I am sure most folks would find it an interesting alternative to the typical novel about Vampires.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.

12/26/2009 page 346
53.89% "So far I like this book. We shall see how it turns out."