Joje's Reviews > The Return of the Dancing Master

The Return of the Dancing Master by Henning Mankell

Jul 03, 10

Read from June 23 to July 03, 2010

Even though the frame of the protagonist's illness explains many of the oddities in the slow unrolling of this police drama, and its confusions and repetitions. Some of those repetitions become motifs outside that frame, to its credit, but not deeply enough to bump it even to a 3.5 in my personal and very vague ratings. And yet I found the read interesting and usually credible, and some of the main characters, and the minor characters just as interesting. The creation of atmosphere was particularly well done without being overdone, as confirmed in the pleasant version of a disclaimer that it is a fiction, hence people and events are invented. But: ''Mais le soleil, début novembre...se lève bien autour de huit heures moins le quart. On retrouve donc, au milieu de la fiction, un certain nombre de vérités indubitables. Ce qui était évidemment mon intention." This kind of thoughtful, often understated irony is reflected in the two main police detectives, making it the second success of the novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the Dancing Master.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joje I'm reading the book in French, but there's no entry for that except the audio, which I'm not reading, so...It's fine so far. We'll see if my predictions so far work out.

message 2: by Astrid (new)

Astrid great stuff, the dancing master! I was absolutely lost to the world when I read that - if I recollect, it was during one of Hardi's conference-trips, and it was summer, the kids were on holiday, and I think I read two nights straight through! Good suspension, and a certain sense of justice, too. Enjoy!