Julie's Reviews > Bloodfever

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009, favorites
Read in November, 2009

Bloodfever is the second book in Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. It is your typical second book in an Urban Fantasy series. Book one usually sets up the world and its players. Book two is typically a transition book. The book that reminds us of how the world works in the series, shows us how the hero or heroine has developed from book one and guides the reader in the direction that the series is ultimately going to take her. Yes, Bloodfever is your classic book two, but with Karen’s talented mark on it, it also feels like so much more.

I can’t believe how much of this book I had forgotten! And important stuff too! It’s embarrassing actually. It’s making me really glad I decided to re-read this series before its big finale. (OMG only 39 more days until Shadowfever! *super squee*) Even though the Unseelie Fae are ultimately the evil do-ers in this series, each book focuses on a specific bad guy. I remembered who it was but I found him even more disgusting this time around. He is just nasty. Poor, poor Mac…

Mac is still her new kick ass self in this book. She knows she is stuck. She knows that she is being used by V’Lane and by Barrons and by pretty much everyone else that crosses her path, but she is trying to be less of a pushover about it. She is trying to regain some control over her own life. I like seeing Mac like this. And I can’t wait to follow her on the rest of her journey and be reminded of other things I really should have remembered but forgot…and made to feel like an idiot because of it. *sigh*

You see more of V’Lane in Bloodfever. He is trying a different approach with Mac this time around. He is really trying to be her friend. I love how he tries to humanize himself for Mac. It’s quite comical actually, in a creepy sexy sort of way.

Of course, there is lots of Barrons in this book. Have I ever mentioned how I love Barrons as a character? Well in case you all missed it, I love Barrons as a character! He is the same in this book as he was in the last. Arrogant in the best of ways, smug in the sexiest of ways and tender in the most surprising of ways. And do I detect a slight hint of jealousy a time or two?! We may see some cracks in his façade once in a blue moon in this book but we still don’t get any closer to figuring out who Barrons is exactly or what he is exactly. At the back of the book, Karen has included the Glossary from Mac’s Journal. I think, when it comes to Barrons, Mac says it best in her journal. She writes: “BARRONS, JERICHO: I haven’t the faintest fecking clue. He keeps saving my life. I suppose that’s something.”

You meet a new character that will play quite an important role not only in the books from now on but also in Mac’s life. We meet Dani, the 15 year old wonder sidhe-seer. She is a cute character who won’t curse for real so she says “feck”. A lot. Definitely one of the most likeable characters in this series. And through Dani, the mystery of the “crazy old lady” gets answered…sort of. But don’t let that excite you too much. Because for every one thing that may get answered in this book, 100 new questions come up! And you think I’m kidding…

Here is a good example of things that make you go “huh?” in this book:

“I had an overwhelming desire to start screaming at everyone to run, to leave, to do…something…I couldn’t remember…something that lurked somewhere in my genetic memory…a thing we’d learned to do…long ago…a ritual, dark thing…we’d paid a terrible price…it had been our greatest shame…we’d made ourselves forget.”

Okay, maybe it doesn’t quite make you say “huh?” In actuality, it makes you say “WTF?!” I really do appreciate how Chapter 14 is basically a recap of what has happened so far and what you should be thinking about. It helped keep me focused and it helped me ask the right questions instead of being inundated by a million other questions I seem to be making up as I go along in this series.

And we still get some philosophical moments I love so much in this series. These are two of my favorites:

“You can’t go forward if you’re looking backward, Mac, Daddy always said. You run into walls that way.”

“Lies roll of us. It’s the truths we work hardest to silence.”

Before I go, I’m just going to say one more quick thing. The cave scene! That is all I’m saying. Okay…I won’t leave you like that. I’ll add one more thing and that is I read that scene twice in a row.

Bloodfever really keeps the story going along nicely and keeps you wanting more. Basically, it’s the perfect second book. Faefever is book 3 and I remember that one. And boy oh boy I can’t wait to read it again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodfever.

11/26/2010 page 231
11/27/2010 page 281
81.0% "I can't believe I had completely forgotten about that amulet!" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished reading it! So good. I'm addicted to this series right now.

Julie This is a FANTASTIC series. It's my second time reading it and I'm finding it even better this time around!