Lori's Reviews > Evolution of a Sad Woman: The Story of Kizzy

Evolution of a Sad Woman by Gale Laure

Dec 01, 09

Read in November, 2009

liked this book immediately. It started off with a bang and didn't let up through much of it. I may be a bit biased because I do enjoy murder mysteries and detective stories and if you do as well, you will probably enjoy reading Evolution of a Sad Woman.

The best parts of this story are the five men who come together to solve Kizzy's murder. Each of them have vastly different backgrounds and personalities and Ms. Laure does the reader a great service by showing through flashbacks exactly how each of them came to know Kizzy and what part each played in her life. Their frictions and their flaws felt very real, as well as each man's deep desire to find out who killed this lovely lady of their past.

And despite being the victim in the story, Kizzy is as much a living, breathing character as any of the men who loved her. She is so well drawn, in fact, that finding out what happened to her and why became as important to me, the reader, as to those five men.

The plot was very well done, with the requisite red herrings thrown here and there but without feeling forced or cliched. With a few well thought out twists and turns, Evolution of a Sad Woman will keep you turning the pages, anxious to see where the story will take you and how it will play out.

Because of the well done character development and finely tuned plot, Evolution of a Sad Woman is more than just your cookie cutter detective story. Each man has a strong, tangible connection to the victim and so it becomes personal - - and the heart of that personal connection comes through the writing and the telling of the story, making it a strong read.

The downside of Evolution of a Strong Woman? A few portions of the dialogue felt a bit "written" to me and somewhat forced. I felt the character or characters in that particular scene didn't sound as natural as they could have, or should have.

And completely shallow with nothing to do with the overall story - - but I disliked the cover of the book. It just didn't move me or grab me and if I had seen this book in the store, I doubt I would have picked it up, judging solely by the cover.

As an additional note, while I did not have a problem with it, Evolution of a Sad Woman contains some fairly graphic violence, strong language and a few sexual situations. It may not be suitable for all readers.

Overall though, I enjoyed reading the book and I enjoyed Ms. Laure's writing style. I look forward to her follow-up sequel, which is in the works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution of a Sad Woman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »