Jared's Reviews > These Three Remain

Nov 24, 2011

bookshelves: classics-adaptations
Recommended for: people who like Pride and Prejudice
Read in July, 2007

The final installment of Pamela Aidan's adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice continues Mr. Darcy's confusion over and pursuit of Elizabeth Bennett, and comes to a satisfying and happy conclusion. The book is well written, and a little smoother than the first book in the trilogy (An Assembly Such as This).

I think a lot of men will find Mr. Darcy's emotional obsession with Elizabeth to be a little heavy-handed (consider Dave Barry's definitive treatise on the topic of male/female relations), but Ms. Aidan does a good job surrounding Mr. Darcy with memorable characters. I found Mr. Darcy's relationship with his sister Georgiana a bit cloying. The invention of Darcy's good friend Lord Brougham (in the spirit of Sir Percival Blakeney) was highly entertaining. Mr. Darcy's valet, Fletcher (in the spirit of Jeeves), is clever and adds a bit of humor throughout the series.

All in all, I found the description of Mr. Darcy's gradual change in attitude to be wholly engaging.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Three Remain.

06/29 marked as: read

Dorothy Interesting to hear a man's attitude. I also found some of Darcy's internal monologues to be more suited to a schoolgirl with a crush!