Grace Tjan's Reviews > The Club Dumas

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Dec 04, 09

bookshelves: 2009, mystery-thriller, swapable
Read in December, 2009

"...when it comes to books, conventional morality doesn't exist."

The Club Dumas is ostensibly a mystery, but the real mystery here is the depth of our obsession with books, not just for what is contained therein, but also for their physical selves: the luxurious vellum or shagreen bindings, the fading gilt letters on their spines, the linen papers that would stay fresh for three hundred years, the rare first editions and complete serials that cost a small fortune. And what is written inside can change our lives, influences our perception of reality and even drives us mad with forbidden knowledge.

The other mystery inherent in all narratives is the narrator. How faithful is he to the reality of his subject? How much embellishment does he add to the bare bones of the story? Is he telling us the unvarnished truth or instead coddles us with beautiful lies? Did Borja ever meet the devil? Who really killed Enrique Taillefer? Was the girl who called herself Irene Adler really the devil incarnate? How reliable is Boris Balkan, the 'nearly omniscient' narrator?

A page-turner of a mystery with some loose ends. The conclusion is either briliant or a cop-out, depending on your taste.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Club Dumas.

12/02/2009 page 50
13.81% "Dumas wrote The Three Muskeeters in a mere 4 months." 1 comment

message 1: by Rauf (new)

Rauf I haven't start readin this but I peeked at title of the last chapter is A Device Worthy of a Gothic Novel

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura After your review, I am curious to read this book. Hope Misfit will join me since we are planning to read the continuation of The Two Dianas in january

Grace Tjan Laura, they're plenty of Dumas references, mostly from Three Muskeeters, but also about his life and method of writing. I didn't know that he had a cowriter for so many of his books. Hope you and Misfit will enjoy it.

Chris Was made into a movie with Johnny Depp.

Grace Tjan Really? I didn't know that.

Chris It's called the Ninth Gate. I saw the movie and then years later was loaned Club Dumas, which I thought I was very familiar.

Grace Tjan Thanks for the info, Chris.