Trisha's Reviews > So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful Of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life

So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star by Jacob Slichter

Dec 07, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, reviewed
Read in December, 2009

I bought this book so I could research the music industry and what it is actually like being on tour, etc. as I was writing a story (AM writing a story I should say) that involves rock bands on tour. Plus my main character is not a druggie so I thought she could relate to Slichter's lack of drug/groupie action.

I found this book fascinating and depressing all at once...but there were many funny moments, made all the more funny because the story is true. I like how Slichter is always trying to act cool/calm/collected and is never sure how he should be standing/smiling/etc.

It's amazing that an album that received lots of 5 star ratings, etc., got largely ignored by its own record company. I don't know much about Semisonic though when I listened to "Closing Time" again I did recall hearing it on radio in the past (it more than likely got played on Australia's Triple J back in the day). But now I intend to check out the rest of Semisonic's music.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star.