John's Reviews > In the Beginning Was the Word: Language--A God-Centered Approach

In the Beginning Was the Word by Vern S. Poythress

Dec 03, 09

bookshelves: culture-current-issues, ethics, theology, hermeneutics-biblical-thoelogy
Read in December, 2009

I do not exactly know what I was expecting when I picked up Vern Poythress’ new book In the Beginning was the Word. Anybody who has read Poythress before, whether it be a journal article, chapter contribution, or book learn to expect creativity and clarity from him. I have read him on topics ranging from gender, science, and exegesis and I have always found him profoundly insightful. Everything is written in light of how it relates to God as our Creator and us as his creatures, made in his image. Poythress thinks deeply about God, applying it to a range of topics.

This book is no different. However, I was taken back at the breadth of knowledge and insight Poythress seemed to contribute to the topic of language. Throughout each chapter, he proceeds with his topic with such savvy, interacting with issues as critical as linguistic theories to basic communication among spouses.

This book deserves a great deal of attention among seminary students and pastors. Pastors should read this book to enrich their own communication in preaching and evangelization. Pastors who are training young men to be faithful Gospel-centered preachers should get them this book to inform how they use and think about language to communicate the Gospel. Language, communication, and words are important and Vern Poythress relates them up - all the way up - to God. It is a God-centered approach, indeed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Beginning Was the Word.