Julie Davis's Reviews > Genesis: Translation and Commentary

Genesis by Robert Alter

May 20, 12

Read in January, 2010

I read this a bit every day and was blown away by Alter's translation and notes. HIGHLY recommended thus far. Reading both for morning reflection and prayer AND as prep for eventually reading Genesis on my podcast, with commentary from various sources, one of which will be this book. No translation and commentary I have read has so vividly brought alive this scripture. The commentary is cultural and literary rather than religious, just fyi, but that simply enhances it for the reader who already has a religious grounding.

Update: December 2010
I am now reading this, with the permission of Robert Alter and his agent, on my podcast so ... technically that means I'm rereading it. Especially since reading a book aloud often gives me a deeper perspective.

UPDATE: On the last two chapters
Finally! We've taken a leisurely route through Genesis but I have found it worth it. Whether Forgotten Classics listeners have remains to be seen. :-)

FINALLY DONE (AGAIN!)
I still have to do a proof listen to the chapters ... but that is a small thing. And I unexpectedly got a bit emotional reading one of the last footnotes. Proving that Genesis and Alter can still surprise me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.

05/14/2012 page 292
90.0% "Narrating the final two chapters (and some seriously lengthy footnotes) ... at last! I can only imagine how thankful my listeners will be that this book is finally done."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie Davis Reading daily and am being blown away by Alter's translation and notes. HIGHLY recommended thus far.