Karen's Reviews > The Lavender Hour

The Lavender Hour by Anne D. LeClaire

1923641
Nov 30, 09

Read in November, 2009

I loved Anne D. LeClaie's "Entering Normal" and she continues introducing quirky eccentric but lovable characters in this book "The Lavender hour". it is rich with funny, neurotic and lovable women. The protagonist Jess is a young art teacher (laid off) and cancer survivor who decides to spend a year in her family cottage on Cape Cod. Her only source of income is the hair jewelry she makes on commission for cancer patients who send her their shorn locks pre-chemo. The side info about hair art is gross yet fascinating and it's clear LeClaire did her research. An older friend on the Cape encourages Jess to train for hospice and she volunteers for a man in his mid 40's dying of pancreatic cancer. Of course, she falls in love with him and all kind of complications follow. This is a beautifully written book, one that tenderly examines the role grief plays out in our lives and the lessons we can learn from the dying. In the end the author quote Oscar Wilde "Where there is sorrow there is holy ground" a quote I agree with based on my volunteer work with grieving children. I think this would be an excellent book for a book group because there are some interesting gray areas to examine and if you have a fondness of the Cape you will get a kick out of all the references of locations you surely know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lavender Hour.