Rick's Reviews > Hallows Eve

202081
Dec 04, 09

bookshelves: horror
Read in December, 2009

This was a really fun book that bordered more on dark fantasy than true
horror. There were plenty of scenes that made you afraid for the characters, but not as many that made you genuinely afraid for yourself or just plain creeped out. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the author's other works. It was a great concept, and I really loved how the author built the history of the town, making it feel like a real place. My only complaints are minor quibbles -- constantly referring to the cop's gun as a 9mm, referencing the new "cartridge" he had to place in the gun (I can only assume from the context that the author meant a clip full of bullets) but then calling the pistol a revolver, which the previous references seemed to contradict. Probably a minor editing issue more than anything else and it really doesn't detract from the work. I just hate when sloppiness gets through. The other minor grip is that Samhain is not pronounced Sam Hane -- as it seems to be throughout the book -- but Sowin. Anyway, that can be overlooked because in the context of the story, based in an American town, that pronunciation is likely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallows Eve.