Rebecca's Reviews > Teen Idol

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: childrens-ya, fall-2009
Read in December, 2009

Genres/Categories: romance, friendship

This is a typical Meg Cabot "chick flick" book, but I loved it. I loved the utter ridiculousness of the storyline (really, a teenage heartthrob is going undercover at a high school so he can really "get" the whole high school experience and the one girl who isn't in love with him just HAPPENS to be the person chosen to guide him around and protect his secret identity?) and how everything turns how just exactly how you'd hope it turns out. It reminded me a lot of the movie Win a Date With Tad Hamilton, which I also loved. All that being said, this novel does make some good points: 1)It's okay to be in love with your best friend and not the teenage heartthrob, 2)What is the media's role in celebrity lives (which is something that becomes more and more troubling every day), and 3)Being nice and smoothing things over isn't as valuable as making things right. Meg Cabot has somehow managed to write a story that appears to be completely cheesy on the one hand, and yet have some real lessons anyone could walk away with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teen Idol.