Natalie's Reviews > A Bear Called Paddington

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-books
Recommended to Natalie by: NEH Classics list
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

I know this book is a classic, and I really enjoyed the first few chapters, but I became a little impatient with the formulaic writing as the book progressed. In every new situation that Paddington finds himself, he innocently makes mistakes which lead to a huge mess, involves lots of people in clean-up or the embarrassment of the situation, angers some and is so cute for others, and is whisked away by the family leaving the recovery and restoration to others.
Why didn't Paddington learn something that he could use the next time he went out? Why did every adventure have the same basic structure? (I guess, like sitcoms, if the formula works, milk it.)

Paddington is definitely kind, thoughtful, well-mannered, and adventure-prone. I can see why children would be delighted by his escapades. I have found many other children's books, however, that are a little more thoughtful in the lessons they subtly offer.
And with all the Paddington calendars, stuffed animals, and other nostalgic paraphernalia that made me wonder what all the stories were about, I'm very pleased to finally have made his acquaintance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bear Called Paddington.