Ken-ichi's Reviews > Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: classics, childhood, childrens-lit

If you are reading a Roald Dahl book that does not feature Quentin Blake illustrations, then you are reading the wrong edition.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise Hear Hear! Hm, maybe we should just change our 'like' button to "hear hear!"

Ken-ichi You know what I say to that: hear hear!

message 5: by Will (new)

Will You know... big Dahl fan, but I could never get that into Quentin Blake.

IIRC, there are a few early books that were not initially illustrated by him, but I could be wrong.

For example, James in the Giant Peach was originally illustrated by Nancy Ekholm Burkert.

Ken-ichi I think we may have had an edition illustrated by Burkert, and strangely, that was one of the few Dahl books I never read as a kid. Couldn't get past the murderous rhino. The edition of Danny the Champion of the World we had was also lacking in Blake, though most of what I remember about that book is drugging pheasants.

Kate Merriman Love Quentin Blake! Have you seen his "Big Draw" project in the UK?

Ken-ichi I hadn't, but it certainly looks cool.

Tony I love Blake, but I'm nostalgic for the illustrations I experienced when I was a kid. List of non-Blakes that I remember: both Charlie books, James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Magic Finger, and Danny Champion of the World. So, yes, Mr. Ueda, I must disagree with your original statement.