Dina's Reviews > The Punishment of Nicollet

The Punishment of Nicollet by Evangeline Anderson

1918270
Nov 30, 09

bookshelves: dnf, contemporary-romance, erotica-romantica, novella, bdsm, to-blog
Read in November, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Okay, I'm considering this book a DNF even though I did finish reading it. Basically, it's a DNF because I skimmed through most of the pages. I did understand the whole story and can safely say I hated it, but I don't want it on my "read" shelf.

In a few words, here's what rubbed me the wrong way big time:

1. Even though Jack and Nicollet weren't blood related, their relationship screamed "uncle & niece" to me. He did raise her, for crying out loud. The fact that Jack thought about it every other page didn't help me to overcome my uneasiness.

2. In one particular disturbing scene, Jack whipped Nicollet's bare behind with his leather belt. Granted, she had been acting like a brat and deserved some punishment, but that was too much for me to take.

Ick, ick, ick! I should have read the publisher's note before getting this book...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Punishment of Nicollet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim He did raise her, for crying out loud. The fact that Jack thought about it every other page didn't help me to overcome my uneasiness.

Ew!

I like how you don't want it on your 'read' shelf!

message 2: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina I'm going to have nightmares tonight...

message 3: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim You need to cleanse the brain with a great story. Hurry, get to it!

I've realized recently just about anything with the word 'punishment' in any part of the description. in it is probably not for me.

AgentScully I don't remember this one all that well, but I remember feeling that Jack dwelt on it too much also, to the point that I was getting creeped out. But I see that I rated it 3* so I must have liked something about it.

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne How did you get hold of this one Dina? , somehow I don't associate Dina with punishment of any kind:).

message 6: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Sounds lovely (!)

message 7: by Dina (last edited Nov 30, 2009 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Kim wrote: "You need to cleanse the brain with a great story. Hurry, get to it!

I started to read Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night but dropped it after the 1st chapter. Not that it wasn't bad, but it didn't grab my full attention as it should and I don't want to end up "hating" the book just because I'm not in the right mood to read it. I'm just browsing the internet now, while I ponder what to read next. :)

message 8: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Agent wrote: "I don't remember this one all that well, but I remember feeling that Jack dwelt on it too much also, to the point that I was getting creeped out. But I see that I rated it 3* so I must have liked something about it."

It was probably the spanking, you naughty girl. ;)

message 9: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Adrienne wrote: "How did you get hold of this one Dina? , somehow I don't associate Dina with punishment of any kind:). "

Well, I was pleasantly surprised by Masks and decided to pick another book from the same author, believing that the publisher's description wouldn't be 100% accurate again. Big mistake, LOL.

message 10: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Dina that Cole book takes a bit to get into and the hero is a beta so you're right that you have to be in the right mood. It's still quite good.

AgentScully **hand to forehead**

Of course! Now why didn't I think of that?

message 12: by Dina (last edited Nov 30, 2009 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Eastofoz wrote: "Sounds lovely (!)"

Your review on this book would be amazing, East. Interested in give it a try? LOL!

message 13: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Agent wrote: "Dina, if you're interested in another Evangeline Anderson novella, try Kidnapped for Christmas. Spanking included (well duh!) but it's a sweeter story. Light BDSM (well I consider it light ;-)"

Thanks, I'll check it out. Just in time for Christmas, huh? ;)

message 14: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Dina wrote: "Eastofoz wrote: "Sounds lovely (!)"

Your review on this book would be amazing, East. Interested to give it a try? LOL!"

Darn it but I just don't have enough room on my shelves to add another book Dina (LOL!) ;)

message 15: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Haha, this one doesn't sound like a Dina book. Actually the "uncle" thing would creep me out too.

I deleted Bound to Please by Lilli Fiesty (don't quite remember the author's name) because I couldn't stand the book so much that I didn't even want it to show up as a read book. I was trying to put it on a DNF shelf but messed up and deleted it - then said good riddence because I hated the story and the heroine and the ugly Moby-looking hero and the fake BDSM. Yeah, I didn't like it.

message 16: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Melissab wrote: "Dina - I have been having trouble finishing books lately myself. I have about 6 started right now."

That's why I'm here, browsing Ellora's Cave's and Samhain's websites to find some e-books to read. I've got about 100 books on my physical TBR right now, but somehow I feel like I've got "nothing" to read. Maybe I'm in a bad mood because Blaze of Memory should have been delivered by now but the postman keeps "ignoring" me. :(

message 17: by new_user (last edited Nov 30, 2009 02:53PM) (new)

new_user LOL, Dina, let me save you some trouble. Anytime you see a book with "punishment," "slave," or "submission" (and if it's erotica, probably "bound" too- ever wonder why you see it in a title so often? It evokes popular themes) in the title, consider it "not Dina-safe," LOL. xD ;)

And I hope Blaze gets to you soon! :(

message 18: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Great advice, NU! I really should have known better, but my brain cells fail me sometimes, LOL.

AgentScully OK I went back and re-read this masterpiece (why??!). It hurt my brain. The heroine is TSTL and seduces her guardian by asking him to kiss her booboo all better after he's whipped her. I may join a convent.

message 20: by Rane (last edited Nov 30, 2009 03:51PM) (new)

Rane ah nothing to give someone nightmares then a creepfest romance book o_o;;;

message 21: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Scully, you're a glutton for punishment - pun intended, LOL.

AgentScully **nods** WTF was I thinking?

I downgraded this from 3* to 2* and when my stomach stops roiling I'll seriously think about pasting a 1* on it.

message 23: by Dina (new) - rated it 1 star

Dina Rane wrote: "ah nothing to give someone nightmares thren a creepfest romance book o_o;;;"

To be fair, the publisher warns readers that this story may be "uncomfortable" to some people. Stupid that I am, I didn't read the publisher's note. Lesson learned! :)