Laela's Reviews > Boy Toy

Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

Dec 03, 09

bookshelves: y-adult
Read in December, 2009

My knee jerk reaction to this book was, WHY. Why would anybody write this book, and why would anybody give this book to a teen? After I got over that and started actually reading I found out.

Is the subject matter repulsive? Yes.
Is it graphic? No.
Do I feel like this book needed to be written and read? Yes.
Would I give it to my daughter to read? Yes.
Is it for everybody? No.

This is a frank look at how a molester works. I think that Mr. Lyga did a fantastic job show how something like this can happen. How it does happen. It also deals with how a boy is treated different than a girl in these situations. Everybody thinks it's okay to be "Hot For Teacher", but is okay for a 12 year old boy to have sex with a 24 year old women?

There is a lot of baseball in this book. Not only as sexual innuendo (Josh got a stand-up triple with Eve), but also as a way for Josh to have some control in his life. Josh is so desperately trying to make everything make sense to himself, in the way that only baseball makes sense to him. How he feels like the only thing he has any real control over is swinging the wood. How baseball is really not a team sport, because it's just you in the batters box. He goes on and on about stats and averages. It's the only time the world is doing what Josh needs it to do. Everywhere else Josh is on the outside looking in, because he feels he is different than everybody else.

Read it. You won't like it, but you won't be able to put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Toy.

11/30/2009 page 154
37.56% "I wantd to read a banned book, and this one sure will qualify. I wouldn't put it in any Teens hands."
12/02/2009 page 224
54.63% "So compelling I can hardly put the book down. I have to keep discussing it at the dinner table, to Miranda's dismay."