Allison's Reviews > The Snow Queen

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: adult, multicultural, science-fiction, strong-female-lead
Read from January 31 to February 01, 2012

Well, this book is certainly an epic. The narrative follows a handful of characters and their individual concerns as they slowly overlap and finally come together for the end. While the writing is dense in the best way, textured and full of description and detail, the plotting is fast-paced and builds to a fever pitch with the climax. This is a book to become absorbed in, better taken in big gulps rather than small sips. And it's weighty with Big Issues like feminism, equal rights, economic imperialism, and the abuses of power. The SciFi world that Vinge creates is mind blowing in its implications for what an interplanetary future might look like for humans. And yet, I was as caught up with Vinge's characters and their struggles as I was awed by her science.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Queen.

01/31/2012 page 300
67.0% "When they say this book is an epic, they really mean it. Poor Moon and Sparks! I hope it turns out OK..."
01/31/2012 page 384
86.0% "I don't quite trust this book to end happily. There have been too many twists and turns so far..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah oh i've been wondering about this book. you'll have to tell me what you think.