Julia's Reviews > Jumped

Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia

Nov 30, 09

Read in November, 2009

I'm not the demographic this book was written for. As an adult, I admit that the teen drama, anger, pettiness, and self-centeredness of these characters kind of drove me nuts. I wanted to say "grow up and get over it already." But I think that therein lies the point. These girls arn't grown up. They don't have a perspective about what is and is not important. Their values are screwed up because they don't know any better, but that doesn't change the fact that what they value is just as important to them as the things I value are to me. And at the core, each girl is searching for acceptance or respect or a sense of importance in some way, just like every other person on the planet.

This is an overly academic review of a book that isn't in any way academic. It is instead immediate, intense, and in your face with it's urban high school drama. Reading the above, you might not realize that I really did like it. But more than I enjoyed it, I respected it. I'm not surprised that it was a National Book Award Finalist at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jumped.