Sandi's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

Nov 30, 09

Read in November, 2009

This book was recommended to me by a physician. He was struck by the concepts of this book and it triggered him to wonder how we can use this knowledge to help curb the obesity epidemic. I enjoyed Kessler's explorations of triggers and cues that lead us to eat. He goes on to describe the making of restaurant and processed food and the ways in which the combination of sugar, fat and salt drive more desire for the combination of sugar, fat and salt. Some people are more susceptible, but we are all constantly cued to eat processed and restaurant foods. I have been aware of the obscene fat/sugar/sodium combo foods that permeate the fast food and chain restaurants for a long time, but the descriptions of how they can get 1000 calories (or more) onto a plate of food astonishes and disgusts me. For years, the only solution I could imagine was to eradicate these chains with weapons of mass destruction. I am not inherently a violent person, but my personal avoidance of these restaurants is not putting a dent in their ways. And, my gentle one-on-one counseling of clients addicted to this food isn't working on a massive level either. But, Kessler offers some sound advice in the final portion of the book on ways to overcome the trap of "hyperconditioned overeating" in today's environment. I love it when a book gives practical advice about food and behavior change. This is another step in understanding the mess we have made with food and our health.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.