Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Hatter M, Volume 1: The Looking Glass Wars

Hatter M, Volume 1 by Frank Beddor

Nov 30, 09

Read in November, 2009

I haven't read the novels so I'm jumping in here with no prior knowledge of the story. I am under the presumption that this is a parallel story to Alice's story in the original novels. It's easy enough to figure out that Hatter has been separated from Alyss and is spending his time searching for her. He lands in Paris and later takes a puddle to Budapest. There is a flashback to the novel retelling how and why Alice escapes to our world. So I felt pretty comfortable with the story though there were many references to people and things that alluded me. This is a strange story. It held my interest but I'm not exactly sure whether I would say I really enjoyed it. It was OK. The artwork has an ethereal quality to it making it very unusual, it is dark and done in various monotones with a small splash of contrast colour in each colour palette. I didn't find it very appealing. The plot is interesting. I am intrigued to see what will happen in Volume Two and at this point I'm thinking it is probably wise to read the novels before the graphic novels.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hatter M, Volume 1.