Manda's Reviews > The Last Juror

The Last Juror by John Grisham

Nov 30, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Read in August, 2008

This book was badly named. The name, plus the blurb that talked about the retribution starting when the murderer is released, gave me to understand that only one juror was left alive, and predisposed me to think that the book was about the hunting down of that last juror. Wrong. Once I forgot those expectations I enjoyed the book, but I did find the beginning slow as I was waiting for the action, and the killing to begin.

This story is about Traynor (23) who gets a job on a small newspaper way down south, and his life in that small community over the next 10ish years. It is a meandering tale, often quirky, and I enjoyed it very much. The frame of the story is a local murder, the trial, the parole of the murderer, and the deaths of jurors, ending in the resolution of that episode, but by no means is that what the book is about.

I would not say the book was brilliant. Traynor rang false to me. Everything he did worked out well, he has very little difficulty making numbers of friends, or doing what he has set his mind too, and he never really had a moral dilemma to wrestle with. But other than that, this book was a surprising gem.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Juror.