JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Apr 07, 10

did not like it
bookshelves: covers_i_like, fantasy, fiction, z_read_in_2010, reviewed, z_setting_us, paranormal, young_adult, 1_star
Read from April 06 to 07, 2010

Nora Grey is forced to sit next to the new guy, Patch, in biology class one day. He knows more about her than he should, and trouble starts to follow her around.

I should have listened to Misty. I still haven't read her spoilery rant, but I will be hitting that as soon as I finish here.

This was compulsively readable, I have to admit that. I read it in one shift at work. But, oh my gosh, I mostly loathed these characters.

Nora is basically the girl in the horror movie who manages to run the wrong way at every turn, even if there's a door standing wide open in front of her, until she eventually gets herself caught in a dead end. You know how frustrating it is to watch that, yelling at the screen, "Don't go down to the deserted basement! Run out the freaking door!" Yeah, that was me reading about Nora.

Vee, Nora's best friend, was just looking for trouble, and she definitely found it.

Patch. Ugh, Patch. He pushed all kinds of the wrong buttons for me. I know a lot of girls love this bad boy, but I couldn't stand him. Bad boys should have a touch of sweet underneath everything. I never quite found that. Oh, at the very end, he comes through, but he's been such a jerk throughout everything that it was way too late for me. I didn't like the way that he was constantly teasing Nora, keeping her off balance, laughing at her, and disrespecting her boundaries. And, girls, let me just say that if a guy who says he loves you ever slams you on the bed and traps you, that is not love. That is violence. No excuses. End of debate.

There was a definite Twilight feel at times, but the story was mostly it's own thing. I mostly felt like it really wanted to be an "Adult" book *nudge nudge, wink wink*, but someone decided to market it to young adults and try to ride Twilight's coat tails. I might not have been quite so indignant about everything if it had been an adult book. Girls should not be seeing these kinds of relationships and thinking that they want to find a love like that. This was not love. It was lust and it was violent at times. That is not good for anyone.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Bad boys should have a touch of sweet underneath everything.

Hey, that was an epiphany for me! You're absolutely right, and I love the way you said it too. The more I thought about this book, the more it made me uncomfortable because it was lust&violence, like you said. Doesn't a good romance have to have some hint of real love in it? Or at least guys just being kind [at heart:]?

Very good review! I definitely second all your points.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I'm glad you liked it and agree! I did try to keep my tone down and not rant too much (believe it or not!), but like I said, it pushed all my relationship buttons.

I've had my share of crushes on the bad boys in books, but they always had some redeeming quality.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist haha that was NOT a rant :P
I've written some "rants" before, hahaha, but hey that happens when you have strong opinions. That's okay!
I was actually really surprised at some of the stuff that Fitzpatrick got away with in her book...the scene in the kitchen, for example, seemed *extremely* grown-up, and then Patch's little quip at the end about her body or whatever...I read that and was like "what the______?!?!"

JG (The Introverted Reader) Me too! There were several things that I was just surprised had slipped into a YA book.

Misty AGREEDAGREEDAGREED!!!
Especially the sweet lining to the bad boys. Stated perfectly.
And you're damn right you should have listened to me!
(I wouldn't have listened to me, either, the cover and idea were too pretty to pass up. Unfortunately.)

JG (The Introverted Reader) I will never make the mistake of not listening to you again. I bow before your book judgment. ;-)