j's Reviews > Stuff White People Like: A Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions

Stuff White People Like by Christian Lander

Jun 17, 11

bookshelves: 30-day-book-challenge, ha-ha-hee-hee-ho-ho, non-fiction, vote-getters
Recommended to j by: life

Hey Brian,

Do you guys want play Cranium tomorrow night? Otherwise you could come over at like 10:30 and we could go to the farmer's market. I have been trying to buy local and it is actually the cheapest place to get organic apples. Anyway, you guys could come if you want. There is a new brunch place I want to try. You could also go to the thrift store with us. We want to get tacky wedding decorations.

OMG, have you ever seen that movie Flirting? We watched it last night on Netflix streaming during dinner (we had these new veggie burgers from Whole Foods, and put hummus on them... awesome). Like every famous Australian actress is in it. So like Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts. Oh and Thandie Newton. Is she famous? It has an awesome soundtrack and is basically like Rushmore in 1960's Australia.

Speaking of which, did I tell you that we wanted to go to Australia after the wedding? It's technically a "honeymoon" but I hate that word. But the flights are sooo expensive. It is like $1,400 to go to Paris, so we might as well pay $1,800 to go to New Zealand. We totally got spoiled with those $550 tickets to Japan (I would so go back there). So instead we are going to Montreal and Quebec City for a few days, and then my friend Alex has offered her apartment in Manhattan for ten days, free. The only bad part is if I go there for that long I'll want to move there.

I wish I could get a job for a non-profit in NYC and it would somehow pay enough and I wouldn't have to mumble "real estate PR" when people ask what my job is. Either that or I could get my MLIS. I want to live somewhere I don't need my car.

It seems weird to me that poor people can afford to live in New York. It seems like it would be tough to live there making $45,000, let alone minimum wage. Speaking of which, did you hear that idiotic thing I posted on Facebook about what Michele Bachmann said about abolishing minimum wage? Good lord. Every time one of the candidates speaks, I feel like I am reading The Onion. Dear Mitt Romney, you are not "looking for a job" like the rest of the umemployed if you own more houses than you can remember at a moment's notice. Seriously, if Obama isn't re-elected, this time I am totally moving to Canada. I mean, it isn't like there will be universal healthcare in the U.S. any time soon. We could live in Montreal and I could start French lessons again.

God I wish I had lived on the Rome campus in college. Or I had gone to South America like Donna.

OK I will call you tomorrow. We are going to finish this movie and then watch Arrested Development. See you.

- Joel

Facebook 30 Day Book Challenge Day 12: Book that is most like your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuff White People Like.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j so much html. i think i fixed them all.

message 2: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j thanks!

the first day i found it (in like 2007), i read about 20 entries and fully 80 percent of them, i kinda had to go "...yeah."

message 3: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j we all are.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Very funny....good review Joel.

message 5: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j :D

Manny Thank you, that was hysterical! I just couldn't stop clicking links. Particularly loved Trying to Learn a New Language. Our whole current research strategy is aimed at this demographic, and it's comforting to hear that we're on the right track.

message 7: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j but at least you have good public trans.

message 8: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j Manny wrote: "Thank you, that was hysterical! I just couldn't stop clicking links."

thanks! that was the idea. i hadn't read most of them in about three years and forgot how funny they all were. this is one of the few blogs-to-books i think really deserved the book.

message 9: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell That blog is amusing, but I actually think it's more about class (upper-middle) than race (of course it's about race too, but....).

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G They must mean RICH white, people. I don't like to do any of those things except the New York Time's crossword puzzle section. But I was watching a 'Benson' episode and Clayton said to Benson, in his snooty Clayton tone, 'Benson you can't begin to understand people like Lilian and me.'
'You mean white people?' Benson asked.
'I'm talking about cultured people with a taste for the finer things in life.'
Benson said 'Oh. You mean RICH white people.'

message 11: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j I'm not rich but I aspire to be.

Mariel I watched the movie that Flirting is sequel to the other week! Shit.

message 13: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j the year my voice broke? i need to see that...

Mariel It is available for streaming on Netflix! I was a huge John Duigan fan as a teen. I saw Lawn Dogs ten times at least.

message 15: by mark (new)

mark monday clever review, love all the links, very handy for further, instant laughs. sadly, you forgot my personal favorite, those hip metal water bottles. also, The Wire!

i've always thought that a more exact & fitting title for this website/book would be something along the lines of "Stuff Hipsters & Some Yuppies (Who Are Mainly But Not All White) Like...Stuff Many Blue Collar And/Or Lower-Income Whites And Many Non-Whites Don't Like Or Perhaps Don't Get Or May Find To Be Silly Or Even Scorn"

message 16: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j I don't think anyone would have been able to remember that url.

message 17: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Heidin-Seek Great review, Joel.
Has Weird Al Jankowic done "Say It Loud, I'm White and I'm Proud" yet?

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian Gawd dangit I do love Arrested Development. I'm watching as I type this. Seriously.

message 19: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu well done sir :)