Kristen's Reviews > Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver

Vaccine by Arthur Allen

Jan 02, 2010

liked it
Read in January, 2010

This book was at different times: boring, informative, interesting and confusing. Certain chapters focused on science, others on public health & science policy, and others on the drawbacks of the ease of communication made by the internet.

Ultimately I didn't feel that Allen was presenting a completely objective perspective, but this may be fair considering the statistics he presents do reveal that vaccinations are ultimately effective and have increased the safety of the population - though there are still risks involved.

I watched Food Inc. a few weeks ago and was rather compelled as the mother of a son who died from e. coli poisoning lamented how the food industry never apologized or even acknowledged their fault. I can easily imagine how the diptheria vdo that was released, or if one were to be released by Jenny McCarthy or other parents of autistic children could be just as convincing. However, as Allen described, 13 parents with similar experiences barely qualify as a statistic out of the millions who get vaccinated every year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vaccine.

08/31/2016 marked as: read