Ellen's Reviews > A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella L. Bird

Dec 08, 09

Read in December, 2009

Most of my friends who have read this book enjoyed it more than I did and, I have to admit, I went to book club on Sunday having only read 8 chapters, so my friends who haven't read this book might not want to take my review too seriously. It is intriguing to think about what traveling in Colorado would have been like in 1873. Isabella was quite the intrepid traveler, had many adventures both wonderful and scary, but I somehow never got caught up in her story. Her descriptions of the people she met and the situations she found herself in were interesting but I still found myself mostly skimming and I actually got a bit tired of all the talk about how beautiful the landscape was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven I read A LADY'S LIFE years and years ago, and I remember really liking it. I read WOLF HALL this weekend. An amazing book. It took me forever to read - very long. Sir Thomas More is the villian of the book. That was an interesting point of view.

Ellen I'm alternately bored and interested by Lady's Life but am reading it for a book club meeting this Sunday so will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Wolf Hall just won the Booker, didn't it?

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Yes, it did win the Booker. I think if you live in England it is easier to read just because you are more familiar with all of the history - and since it is a different view of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, it does help to know what is going on. Apparently the author is working on a sequel because Cromwell eventually loses his head too. This book ends with the beheading of Sir Thomas More.
I was surprised how long it took me to read. It takes a week at least.

Ellen Hmmm...does seeing season 1 & 2 of The Tudors count as being familiar with all of the history? :-)

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven Well, I'm an English major with 25 credit hours in Enlgish history, and it took some effort. Everyone is named Thomas, Henry, Alice, Anne, Elizabeth and Mary. So you do have to work to keep them straight in your mind. But it does paint a very complete picture of England before Elizabeth I.

message 6: by Marcia (new) - added it

Marcia I read Lady's Life many years ago and loved it. Another good book from the same time period and area is by Enos Mills - Wild Life on the Rockies. It has incredible stories about his adventures that are humbling.

Mike You probably saw my review. The book didn't really work for me either.