Marsia's Reviews > Mother of Pearl

Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes

Dec 11, 09

bookshelves: from-the-south
Recommended to Marsia by: Oprah Winfrey
Recommended for: readers who like stories set in the 1950s &/or in the South; those who like first novels
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Grrrrr! I started a new virtual bookshelf for this book and must say I truly despise the way the Goodreads program automatically changed--incorrectly and for the worse--what I typed in the blank. There is no reason whatever for our book categories to be automatically hyphenated, nor for changing all capital letters to lowercase. For example, I put a capital "S" in the word "South" in this category for good reason; the South in the United States is always capitalized to distinguish it as a region of the country (as are the North, the West, and the East) rather than merely a direction on a compass.

But anyhow: I didn't think Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes was the best first novel I've ever read, but I must say it kept me reading to the very end, and I have no regrets for having spent time on this book. I liked it. Haynes clearly has a gift for creating characters (with unusual names) who live and breathe on the page and are not easily forgotten. Perhaps it is her experience as a painter that has honed her skill for observation. In her writing it appears as a talent for describing people and places in a way that never left me bored or impatient. Her descriptions flow as naturally and gracefully as the river that plays a role in her story. With her keen eye for details and her literary originality, Haynes is a novelist whose work I will look for in the future.

Note: Because of its setting--a small town in Mississippi in the 1950s--and because of its remarkable African American characters, Mother of Pearl might be an interesting selection to read in tandem with Kathryn Stockett's The Help for comparison and contrast.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother of Pearl.

12/01/2009 page 115
25.84% "I'm enjoying the book so far."
show 1 hidden update…