Emilie's Reviews > The Alchemy of Stone

The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: 2009, mythopoetic, feminism
Read in December, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemy of Stone.

12/13/2009 page 63
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Shane (new)

Shane ooh, this one sounds very interesting...I can't wait to read your review when you finish it.

Emilie (smiles) thanks. i am loving it. i really want to write a review, but i am so sleep deprived i am not sure. maybe i will anyway. i love the cover too, isnt it cool!

message 3: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Great review, Emilie! I remember reading something about the author and added her first book to my shelf. This one sounds even more intriguing. I love the cover too!

Emilie thanks, nancy. (smiles) i spent way too much time writing this one! (grins) it seems like its more difficult for me to write a review the more passionate i feel, which seems opposite to the way i would expect. do you find that to be true?

heres an excerpt from the alchemy of stone

yes, i agree, sedia sounds like an interesting woman, she has strong views. i read an interview with her, and she surprised me a bit, the way she spoke pretty freely. not effacing her personality, even if people might not like it. id like to read more interviews with her.

message 5: by Irene (last edited Mar 30, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

Irene Emilie wrote: "thanks, nancy. (smiles) i spent way too much time writing this one! (grins) it seems like its more difficult for me to write a review the more passionate i feel, which seems opposite to the way i w..."

Emilie, it is a fantastic review. I have the same problem with writing a review for the same reason.

Emilie thank you, irene. that's interesting to know that you feel the same. i guess it's good that we feel so passionately about the books. (smiles)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

"(narrating Gargoyles!)" I love that. I want to read the book based on that alone.

Also: "as if strength and courage signifies that someone does not experience struggle and ambivalence."

Like owning the trumpeting alarm, wielding it as an instrument of power and not hiding it away in shame like so many would have us do.

Emilie thanks, sean. i love how you go right to the heart of things. (and how you find the playful in it, too.)

yes, i think that's exactly true (i love how you phrased it, too, i like the image of wielding the trumpet(ing) alarm as an instrument of power), and part of not hiding in shame i think is realising that there can't really be courage without struggle. that that is one of the lies we are taught, that courage exists somewhere without a relation to struggle.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Emilie, do you know an unemployed gargoyle that would be willing to narrate my life? I think that would be so cool. It could be in charge of blowing the trumpet as needed, and would perch on my shoulder and scowl at interlopers. Instead of having my own personal superhero (Artie!), I could have my own personal gargoyle!