Thomas's Reviews > Lies

Lies by Michael  Grant

May 16, 10

bookshelves: five-stars, own-physical, young-adult, romance, dystopia, science-fiction
Read from May 15 to 16, 2010

Lies was the most legit book I've read in a long time. It contains so much: action, science-fiction, dystopia, romance, a gay character, supernatural, oh my goodness. There is no one term to summarize Grant's latest addition to the Gone series. Okay, I lied. Maybe one word can describe this phenomenal book, which also aptly is the title - Lies.

If the characters in Lies were dropped in the world of "Pinocchio", then their noses would be metaphorically massive. Lies, lies, and more lies. Did any character in the novel not tell a lie? Even the good guys - Sam, Edilio, Mary... even Astrid, of all the people, lie! And these aren't little lies either, they're gargantuan, ginormous lies. I had one heck of a time trying to differentiate between the truth tellers and the fear mongers in the book.

A lot of the characters transitioned from "good" to "bad", and vice versa. There was so many conflicting, internal motives and crazy mental struggles that completely blurred the lines between what was right and what was wrong. Certain characters fell from grace, while others stole the spotlight and took the throne. I loved every little plot twist and character developing detail.

By the way, I think I'm in love with Astrid. Oh man, this chick is bad. The innocent, self-righteous girl from Gone whose only title was Astrid the Genius? Gone. And guess what is she replaced with? Lies. She is my personal favorite because she goes through an absurd amount of annoyances and anger and... yeah, don't want to give too much away. But seriously, just look at her on the cover. Now that's the epitome of fierce and ferocious.

Grant also included some fantastic foreshadowing for the next book in the series, Plague. I'm already sick of waiting for it.

Want to read more of my reviews? Follow me here.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies.

05/15/2010 page 186
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 13: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori *jealous*

Thomas Bought it at Barnes and Noble the other day:)

Morgan F If it was possible, you made me want to read this book more than I already do! I'm re-reading Hunger right now, then on to Lies. I am very excited.

Thomas Ha, I'll take that as a compliment :D

And yeah, I read your reviews on the first two and I'm pretty sure you will love Lies.

Morgan F Yay!

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tang hmm I thought these books were kinda log...I lost interest ):

Morgan F They do have some serious length, but it flew by for me.

Thomas I agree with Morgan. The length is pretty intimidating, but the quality of the books make up for it.

Nick I love this series, and your reviews are awesome. They mirror my thoughts exactly, just much more articulately :P

Thomas Thanks man :) Not a lot of my past reviews are exactly articulate, but thanks ha ha...

Thomas You are definitely not the only one, and I can't wait for the final book either! Michael Grant has not disappointed us yet, and I hope he'll make the sixth book just as, if not more splendid than its predecessors. :)

Potterbert I loved your review here. Thumbs up.
(Still waiting for Plague to come in the mail here...)

Thomas I hope you enjoy it! The series continues to amaze until the very end.