Laura's Reviews > Something Missing

Something Missing by Matthew Dicks

Dec 14, 09

Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed this novel and found it to depict a unique perspective in Martin's OCD-like behavior. I also noticed that the style of writing matched his character, using very precise, even stilted laguage at times which matched the way I'd expect Martin to speak.

The beginning of the book where Martin described how he he does what he does was just to the point of getting tedious, as a comedy skit can when it has gone on too long. But, just at that point, the real plot begins and the story moves on at just the right time.

Martin has his issues, to be sure, but is charming and likable none-the-less. I really enjoyed the ending where he is pushed from his comfort zone into a more engaged, mature and sustainable life style, by the possibility of love with his new girl friend, Laura ,and by the encouragement and forgiveness of Sophie Pearl. It is like he is finally getting what he did not as a child and can finally grow up emotionally and start his real life. Just a little later than usual.

The premise has its limitations and it could have dragged as a longer story, but again, the author (or his editor) kept is fairly short and that worked very well. It would make a good movie and I hope to see it on the big screen one day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Missing.