Maria's Reviews > Unnatural Death

Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers

Oct 19, 07

bookshelves: mystery, fiction
Read in October, 2007

Others have already mentioned the caveat of the casual racism, so I'll skip that.

This is a really good read. It's pretty neat and tense and creepy as a mystery (even though you know right from the start who did it), but is even better as a character study. There's plenty of Parker and Miss Climpson, and a bunch of interesting new characters. There was one revelation at the end that was supposed to be shocking but which I thought was pretty obvious, but it didn't negatively impact my enjoyment of the book.

I have one quibble, though. Considering the lengthy introduction where Peter's shell shock is described, I kept expecting more introspection from him about his role in the affair. Practically up to the very end, it appears as though his meddling caused a great deal of harm to innocent people. He was really concerned about that in The Nine Tailors, but not here. That was odd.

On the other hand, he does hang out with Charles Parker a whole lot in this book. It just confirms my suspicion that, at least where Lord Peter is concerned, Charles has a healing - oh, sorry, this is a family friendly website, isn't it?

And I forgot to mention the lesbians! Yes, there are at least three lesbians in this book. That caused me great joy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural Death.