Luann's Reviews > Trouble

Trouble by Kate Christensen

Dec 04, 09

Read in December, 2009

One thing I like about all Christensen's books is her ability to present characters that are often unlikable, selfish, deeply flawed, self deluded; put them in situations in which they are certain not to be at their best and keep you really interested in them. You don't necessarily like them, or maybe you end up liking them more at the end, but they are always wonderfully human - not charicatures (I can't spell).

The other thing I've found is that her books are very readable, well constructed, quick paced without being rushed.

I liked the book. Women about my age suddenly realizes during a cocktail party that her marriage is over -- and begins acting out. Explores her relationship with two long-time friends, her daughter, new men, etc. Christensen has something to say but isn't making judgments. She just gives you a good story, interesting/messy characters presented with a clear eye and biting humor.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trouble.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Luann, What other books of hers would you recommend and where would you start? She sounds like someone I'd like.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I'm not Luann, but I really loved The Epicure's Lament. One of those books that just carry you along for the ride.

Luann That's where I started, Lisa. I loved it and Jeremy Thrane. I have but haven't yet read her In the Drink -- Read The Great Man last year -- I liked it but EL and JT were better in my opinion.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Dec 04, 2009 07:16PM) (new)

Lisa I liked In the Drink, though not as much as Jeremy Thrane. It was a younger book, not in a bad way but not as rounded as the others.

message 5: by Karen (last edited Dec 04, 2009 08:38PM) (new)

Karen Thanks for the recommendations, girls. And wasn't there a song called I'm Not Luann? Oh, maybe it was I'm not Lisa. (Ducking).