Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Dec 20, 09

bookshelves: classics, historical-fiction, literary-fiction, sciencefiction
Read in November, 2009

I read this book in Germany because it's about the bombing of Dresden, and I thought we were going to Dresden. We didn't make it, but the book was still a worthwhile read.

I have to admit that Kurt Vonnegut's cynical writing style does not enamor me the way it enamors a lot of other people who seem to think that cynical = smart. It annoyed me that he wrote, "So it goes," every time he mentioned someone dying. And yet, despite the flippant narrative style, the book is anything but flippant. In following the life of Billy Pilgrim, a World War II Veteran who somehow bumbled himself through to survival from the War, Vonnegut explores the inescapable mark, or damage, that war leaves on individuals and the world -- and most of all, the absolute senselessness of it all (even in a war that most people perceive as "justified.") The more fantastical elements (Billy's time travel and abduction by aliens) were easier to swallow than one might think, especially since you were really left to make your own judgment about whether these occurrences were "real" or not. Vivid, depressing, and sometimes beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keir (new)

Keir Did you see the movie? I can't remember how good it was, but I do remember it was interesting.

Lacey Louwagie Keir wrote: "Did you see the movie? I can't remember how good it was, but I do remember it was interesting."

Why no, I didn't know there was a movie. Must investigate that.