Sylvia's Reviews > The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë

Oct 19, 2007

bookshelves: fictiousaddict, favorites
Recommended for: anyone coz it's worth reading.

Despite critics undermine Anne Bronte as lacking her sisters' - Charlotte and Emile Bronte - intensity and charm in her writing, I was totally engrossed in this novel of her. I Find The Tenant of Wildfell Hall a very intense narration and I just couldn't let go the book before I read the last page.

What amazed me most is how advance the writer is in perceiving gender issues compared to the people of her time. Living in 1800s where most people took for granted that men and women are not equal. One simple yet very significant example is depicted in the heroine's argument doubting the necessity of raising sons in such a way to prepare him to be tough so he can face and solve any problems while daughters must be treated delicately and they need not to be troubled with difficult things since they will always have men's protection. It's very ironic since in this very postmodern era, communities around the world are still of this 'ancient' frame of mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.