Johan's Reviews > Unseen Academicals

M_50x66
Dec 25, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I have been a discworld fan since I read my first one some 15 years ago. Terry Pratchett is one of the maybe a handful of writers of which I keep on rereading the books, some even for the 5th time. I keep on discovering new jokes and themes.

How does Unseen Academicals compare to the other discworld novels? Well, it's "below" average. I would rate most discworld novels 9 or 10 on a scale to 10 and this one only deserves an 8/10 or 4 stars. A 4 star rating from me means that it is still a very good book.

The quality of the book is uneven. The first half is wittier and better worked out than the second half, which feels a bit like a rush job. There are several plots that go nowhere. The second half is a also darker than the first half. It's a typical Pratchett book in the way he takes on issues in contemporary society (self-worth, xenophobia, power games, football, idolization, he is still a master of sarcasme and parody, and one of the funniest and wittiest authors around, but this book sparkles a bit less. Some people think that Alzheimer's disease is starting to affect his writings, but I don't want to go that far; this book still shows his genius. But especially the second half could have used some more fine-tuning and editing.
I also expected a greater role for Rincewind, but he might have well been no part of this story. There are 3 well-known discworld characters that gain a lot of depth in this novel, but that will only appeal to established discworld readers.

Has this book worth? Yes, it sure does.
Is it a good book to start reading the discworld series? No, The Colour of Magic, The Wee Free Men, Going Postal, ... are better suited for this.

I am looking forward to Raising Taxes and I shall Wear Midnight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unseen Academicals.

12/25/2009 page 348