Laura's Reviews > The Call of the Wild

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Nov 29, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-books, fiction, read-2009, canadian-literature, banned-books, animals
Recommended for: Bettie
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Available at ThoughtAudio.com.

Call of the Wild is the story of Buck, a magnificent dog who is stolen from his idyllic life and sold for use on a Yukon dogsled team. His travels are not only of a physical nature, as he learns hard discipline from men who must discipline their dog teams, but his own journey back to his primordial roots in the frozen tundra - the roots of wolf. This amazing story of transformation is beautifully written and provides a glimpse of the hard life in the Yukon Territory during the 1900s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of the Wild.

11/29/2009 "2/7"
11/29/2009 "3/7"

Grace Tjan I love Buck and his story. But I've always been a sucker for dog stories, even for sentimental ones. lol

message 2: by Laura (last edited Dec 08, 2009 02:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura then you must read Marley.....

Grace Tjan I've read Marley. And I teared up when he died...

message 4: by Laura (last edited Dec 08, 2009 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura me too ..... quite touching story.

Grace Tjan Yes. But it's not making me hurrying to buy a Labrador puppy! Marley really made a mess of that house. I'm content with my calm, well-behaved Mini Schnauzer. lol

Do you have a dog, Laura? What breed is the most popular in Brazil?

Laura no, I have two cats, you can see both of them on my profile. Labrador is quite popular in Brazil among others, I am not an expert in dogs, only in (abandoned) cats. By the way, I am using the picture of my youngest cat here at GR.

Chris I feel I must point out that mutts rule, even if my dog wants to bury everything in my bed.

Grace Tjan That's a pretty cat you have, Laura. What breed is it? I had a Persian when I was a kid, but I've always been more of a dog person. I've owned many dogs of different breeds all my life, including mutts of various shapes and sizes. : )

Laura SAndy, since both of them were abandoned (the youngest at my office) they don't have any specific breed. The youngest is more an angora breed.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think White Fang is even better.

Laura thanks David