emily cress's Reviews > Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Apr 19, 07

Recommended for: Everyone- just to prove my point
Read in March, 2007

Tim Robbins is an ASS. He is a creative literary genius and he throws it in your face all throughout this book. You will walk away from this novel not only because it is gross, (or because you have pieces of Tim Robbin's genius on your face), but also because you wont be able to figure out why someone so apparently gifted would write about this trivial crap. It will stump you for days, and on the fifth day you will realize that TR is just what he appears to be...a gifted and obscenely talented ASS. The juxtaposition of graphic gross-yam pudding-while-balling with-old-chinese-men-sex and the brilliant and enlightened way in which TR philosophizes is maddening. Its worth reading- its entertaining at least. The basic plot is bullshit...buuuuut read between the lines. Snort between the lines if you need to. Its the only way to "get it." Of course, if you really love goats and metaphors about dirty greek deities and non-stop phallic references and explicit but pseudo-lesbianism, you will not need to preform the aformentioned snorting. Actually, all you need to do is read some Thoreau and then visit your local "adult" bookstore. You will get the same effect. If however, the book begins to bug you and you cant figure out why and yet you cannot put it down......snort.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Calafia You should be my friend. I agree with you wholeheartedly, and am so glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't fall down and worship the Robbins.

emily cress We should be friends. Lets do it!
I love Lord of the Flies. I heart Ralph.
I dont know why, maybe I think I am him.
(Actually thats exactly why I love him)
(Top secret)

message 22: by LooseLips (last edited Jan 16, 2008 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Meredyth Wow! I didn't realize Tim Robbins was writing now! I loved the Shawshank Redemption. Did he write that too?

LooseLips scripts count!

message 19: by senator jensen (last edited Mar 10, 2009 12:55PM) (new) - added it

senator jensen Man, that food was delicious. Why, if that waiter hadn't spilled pieces of Tom Robbins' genius all over my face, I'd recommend this place to all of my brilliant friends.

PS: "because you have pieces of Tom Robbin's genius on your face" should be an alibi or at least a tee shirt.

Daniel Exactly how would a writer go about expressing his genius without putting it in front of you for you to sample? It's simply paradoxical, and in that, Mr. Robbins would applaud you.

Dr. Robbins, however, I imagine would have something to say about your failure to 'get it' and your propensity to recommend narcotics as a potential route. He might be so intuitive as to point out that perhaps your aversion to the author's vibrant and gratuitous inclusion of sexual material and your disregard for the author's philosophical broadmindedness, might both stem from an overly rigid and restricted upbringing and current belief system.

Of course, keep in mind, this author, hardly the "creative literary genius" of TR, might just be attempting to stir up the clockworks for a few ha ha's, a ho ho, and maybe just a few hee hee's...

Melissa Thank you for so eloquently stating why I hated this book so much! This book was just terrible.

Mystee i am so relieved there are still people who will write about "trivial crap" that upsets you so. I'm just kind turned on by the fact that someone as rigid as you ever had Robbins' pieces "gross" literary genius all over your face... or at least on your lips....wahooooooooooooo !!!

Carol Storm Uptight much, darling?

Amanda i llove when people use the 'juxtaposition' U GO GIRL

message 13: by GF (new) - rated it 5 stars

GF even though your rating of the novel and mine are on opposite ends, your review is on-point, and I loved the book for it. Thanks!

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen He's a creative literary genius and you hate him for it. Okay. I think your imagination is leaking. Might wanna get that checked out.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie sweetie, you're just jealous you do not posses such a complex genius that can squirt in people's faces.

Maxmax I love Tom Robbins, liked the book, but concede that he didn't make this book the shiny shiny object that you want you feel like you're going to get. It just doesn't have the value it seems like. What a brilliant review Emily made. I still like it!

Wendy FYI: His name is not Tim Robbins. It is Tom Robbins. The novelist and actor are not the same person. Also the writer of the Shawshank Redemption was Steven King.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Maxmax wrote: "I love Tom Robbins, liked the book, but concede that he didn't make this book the shiny shiny object that you want you feel like you're going to get. It just doesn't have the value it seems like. ..."

I respectfully submit that you might want to read it again. Many of my favorite Robbins quotes come from this book (including the one I want for my next tattoo!) - it is a treasure trove of good stuff!

Todd Nice review. Wow am I glad I'm not reading books by that 'Tim Robbins' Guy. Sad thing, too is: the guy can barely act either. Have you seen that 'Erik the Viking'? What a weird film. And 'Shawshank Redemption' - lifeless perfomance. Wait. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. So why do I write such lame book reviews? I couldn't say. I'll try to suppress the urge to criticize things I didn't 'get' or 'understand' in the future, and only review things that I like, and think are great. Like 24, and being able to buy jack Bauer's underpants online.

Jakob Brønnum And what would I find between the lines, if I snorted, if you please, Emily

Valerie The first clue that someone shouldn't write a review is when they can't get the authors name right. I knew it was downhill from there.

Edmundo I see your point that he somehow wasted his talent, as my sweetheart says "The book is one long man-joke, like you'd tell in the bar or locker room." He could have written "Sometimes A Great Notion" but instead he wrote this. Gotta admit that it is funny though.

Maxmax Jen wrote: "Maxmax wrote: "I love Tom Robbins, liked the book, but concede that he didn't make this book the shiny shiny object that you want you feel like you're going to get. It just doesn't have the value ..."

Fair enough. Its been many years since I consumed this tome. I may indeed feel different about it. I kind of this of books and movies in three time zones. During consumption, just after ... could be a day or a week, and through the mists of time.

I long to reread Another Roadside Attraction, I'd love to reread Jitterbug Perfume and hope to again devour Skinny Legs And All - my long term view - and after that, I'd be happy to once again feast on Cowgirls.

message 2: by Ali (new) - added it

Ali Helme ...tom robbins?

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian You could at least get his name right...