Krys's Reviews > The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

I’m a huge Riordan fan, but for this book I have done a terrible, unforgivable thing. I read Rick Riordan’s The Red Pyramid entirely too fast. As a result I did not absorb any of the beginning, and in doing this the end became quite garbled..and I did not finish it. Bad reader. Bad bad!

That said, I plan on rereading this book when I am in a better head space for it, because I quite enjoyed what was going on. I just didn’t have all the dynamics straight and for a Riordan book I want to give it my utmost attention. In absence of that I should not be reading him. Period.

What I did like about The Red Pyramid is Riordan’s charming wit and ability to write some pretty interesting things subtly. Riordan excels in putting social commentary into place and dealing with it in a way that does not make the entire book one big issue (example: the ADD/Dyslexia/Grover’s “crippled” legs in the Percy Jackson series). He puts the elements into place but does not focus only on them.

In the Kane Chronicles Riordan has created two children, brother and sister, and bi-racial. We don’t see many bi-racial protagonists outside of the “issue” books, and not frequently enough to not make the book be solely about that. In typical Riordan fashion the children, Sadie and Carter, encounter all sorts of adventure and intrigue throughout the course of the book, and we do not focus entirely on the fact that they are both black and white. Riordan, of course, cannot ignore this and he does give his characters moments of difficulty about being who they are. But the book does not focus entirely on this, far from it. It’s very subtle, and very good in the handling of it.

The book does focus on Egyptian Mythology, which I am not as familiar with. I grew up reading Greek myths and memorizing heroes from that particular canon of fantasy ideas, so naturally the Percy Jackson books appealed, but were not as surprising. The Kane Chronicles are surprising because they are so unfamiliar. The template to the story is, unfortunately, formulaic. Riordan found something that worked and put it into place for this story. Fortunately, I love the formula! So it’s likely that when I am in more of a mood for this book I will read it with a vengeance.

Riordan gets kudos for many things. From me he gets a 4 star rating…with the hopes of edging out a perfect 5 upon a reread. Bravo, and I’m sorry I’m not so much in the mood for this. Soon.

- review courtesy of
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Pyramid.

05/11/2010 page 75
05/13/2010 page 319
61.82% 2 comments
show 4 hidden updates…

Michelle After reading some of the reviews. I am glad to have read this via audio. It was always apparent who was talking. The audio book showed a lot of personality and i didn't get frustrated with pronunciation of names.