lisa's Reviews > Firefly Lane

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: kindle, read-in-2010
Read from January 27 to February 02, 2010

i have to be honest – i don’t like chick lit or chick flicks, and yet, here, i found myself really enjoying a book that was clearly written for and about girlfriends, mothers, and daughters. it was so blatantly girly, and in the most honest of ways, that i couldn’t turn away and just dismiss it like i normally would have.

on the surface, this is a book about two girls, Kate and Tully, who were worlds apart in background and personality, and yet both lonely and fragile in their own ways. when Tully and her drug-addicted mom moved in across the street, they became TullyandKate, inseparably close.

Tully was beautiful, carefree and confident, but with the hidden conviction that she wasn’t good enough. that was the only seemingly reasonable explanation for why her mother couldn’t stick around for more than a couple months, forcing her back to her grandmothers home time and time again. at times childish, and always selfish, Tully’s character could definitely be irksome, but her drive and focus was so appreciable, that it was difficult to not like her at least some of the time.

Kate was a quiet, honest country girl with the perfect family, but with the average sort of looks that got her sidelined in the popularity contests of life. despite their friendship, she was constantly in the shadow of Tully, which served as a constant reminder that she wasn’t good enough. her character was naive, but persistent, with a firm belief in love and good things, and was instantly likable, despite her misgivings.

the two girls secretly envied each other and that ultimately brought them even closer together. through the decades, high school, onto college, jobs, boyfriends – no matter what life dished out, they stuck with their mantra to be there for each other, no matter what.

although the plot revolves around these two girls, the real beauty comes when Hannah takes time to reflect on their vastly differing relationships with their mothers, their careers, and eventually the men of their lives. she writes with a simplicity that many have criticized as lacking depth, but i didn’t find that to be true. granted, it isn’t a literary award winning book, but Hannah does write well. the honesty and emotion that exists between the characters is anything but shallow, and despite the fact that the girls-become-women never really outgrow some of their childish mannerisms, i wasn’t put off at all.

i’ve left a lot of details of this review to avoid spoilers, but there really is just so much beauty that happens between the two covers of this book that i would recommend it to any woman out there. just be sure to bring your tissue for this one.

"That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours."

for more of my reviews, please visit http://thelittlereader.net.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.

01/27/2010 page 58
10.98% "nice simple story with some very heartfelt moments so far... i think i'll enjoy it."
01/30/2010 page 196
37.12% "pleasantly surprised so far. this is going to be a guilty pleasure sort of book, i can tell."
02/01/2010 page 337
63.83% "yep, guilty pleasures book, all the way."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene I don't read chick lit either, but based on your review, I entered your giveaway. The funny thing is my sister gave me this book to read, and I gave it to my niece (her daughter), because I did not think I would like it!!