Kara's Reviews > Thornspell

Thornspell by Helen Lowe

Nov 28, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: ft-sleeping-beauty

A re-telling of Sleeping Beauty, telling the prince’s side of the story. And wow is it boring! There’s a lot of traveling from point a to point b to point c and back again, and in between the moving from place to place like checker pieces, there’s a lot of standing around and talking, usually of someone telling the prince such-and-such happened 100 years ago or this-and-that happened 1,000 years ago, and that’s why you have to fight the evil witch. The actually fighting is a long time coming and somewhat boring after the cavalry arrives and half the “human” characters show up, take off their magic masks and are all ‘Oh yeah, I’m a dragon, forgot to tell you.’ Everyone’s back story is much more interesting than the main story, and I would have like to have seen the back stories made forefront – the prince could have easily taken a back seat when there were so many more interesting characters around! I rushed through the story just to see if my guess about the “princess” “twist” was right (it was).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thornspell.