Becca's Reviews > The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: i-rarely-read-non-fiction
Read in November, 2009

I might have avoided this book. Somewhere along the line, I stopped being as interested in reading reflections on how to live life. I used to be a CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL fiend, but have since become wary about things that are written to be how-to books for how-to-live (see my ire at THE ALCHEMIST, and understand I will probably never read EAT, PRAY, LOVE).

I don't know what that says about me and fortunately this entry is about the book, not me.

So I might have avoided this book...except that my beloved aunt gave it to me to read. She has never passed a book along to me before. And she has cancer...but hopefully not for long.

Aunt Mar would not talk about her diagnosis when she got it. She asked for prayers and space. The last four months have changed things. She and I had a good, long talk over Thanksgiving dessert and this book was waiting for me, from her, when I got home. This is why I read the book, because it was recommended by my aunt at a time when she has had to think about mortality.

So I spent an afternoon with a book that is really a time capsule for a man's children. And it was the right timing. I'm glad I read it. And I am very glad that it is waiting for his children, so some day they can get to know their dad.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.