Kristi's Reviews > A Blue So Dark

A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

Nov 05, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 21 to October 05, 2010

I have to admit that the one thing that drew me to this novel was the gorgeous cover art, but the thing that kept me reading was the beautiful writing.

This is one of the most impressively written debut novels I've read this year. (And that's saying a lot because I've read a lot of them!) But it wasn't just the writing that was so striking... the characterization, the story... everything! It was... WOW.

Aura's story is definitely one that will stay with you. To watch her struggle so intimately... it was heart-wrenching. This story is so raw and emotional... I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was hard to read at times. It was difficult to watch Aura struggle with her mother they way that she did. The hardest thing was knowing that there were so many 'responsible' adults that should have noticed what Aura was going though. I seriously wanted to slap her dad silly! What's worse is that I think he knew and he just didn't care enough. (GRRR!) So many emotions while reading this novel! Aura's dad wasn't the only character that I had strong emotions about... the characters were so well developed I couldn't help but feel a certain way about each one of them.

The mental illness aspect of this novel... the correlation between creativity and schizophrenia was very intriguing. (You can read more about that in my interview next week with Holly.) There aren't many YA novels that cover mental illness... (another one that sticks out in my mind, Dirty Little Secrets) but this is an exceptional addition to the genre.

This is such an amazing novel... (one that I think has been overlooked!) Add this to your reading piles people! Wow. I wish I could write it a better review.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blue So Dark.

09/28/2010 page 110
38.0% "really good......"

Gabrielle Carolina I hope this one is good!

Cass -  Words on Paper I'm reading this one, too! I'm kind of pushing myself to finish it though, though it is good. It's just a lot different than what I expected it to be. That's what happens when I don't read the synopsis, I guess. xD