Margaret's Reviews > The Gift of an Ordinary Day: A Mother's Memoir

The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in December, 2009

If you like sentences like "Contenment and grace may be two sides of the same coin." or "One reason I am happy here is because I've decided to be." or Mend the part of the world that is within your reach.", you will probably like reading The gift of an ordinary day.

Katrina Kenison decides to leave the hectic world of suburban Boston for the simple life in rural New Hampshire, dragging her 3 "men", sometimes kicking and screaming, with her. When her long time book editing job ends, and she finds herself living back under her parent's roof with her husband and two teenage boys, she has a great test of her desire to learn to live simply, in the moment. As she struggles with the end of her mothering role and what to do next, life takes many twists and turns.

Although I am not nearly as introspective as Katrina, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I like her delightful use of words, her joyful descriptions of nature, the story of her sons' passage into adulthood, the long meandering chapters. I miss my grown children and thoroughly the empty nest at the same time. To Katrina I say, wait for the grandchildren.

And to Goodreads, I say thanks for "the gift of an ordinary day".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift of an Ordinary Day.