Lauren's Reviews > Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: ya-family, ya-love, ya-mental-illness, ya-strong-girl, ya-teen-pregnancy
Read in November, 2009

A really good story about a girl who has a brain injury and loses four years of her memory. She knows many things and does not know many things and she is changed, as people with brain injuries are. She is a different person and she has to learn about who she is in the same way that the people who know her have to learn about this new person. It is a good story but I always have a problem when authors don't take the time to find out the details of the place they are writing about. The Village of North Terrytown was renamed Sleepy Hollow in 1998 and this story takes place in 2004, so the one reference she makes to the cemetary in North Terrytown where Washington Irving is buried is inaccurate and bothers me because I know people who worked hard to have the name Sleepy Hollow and would not want their village refered to by its old name.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.